Help Your Child
Communicate and Connect with Confidence
Give Your Children the Social Skills They Don't Learn in School
Parenting Insecure or Socially Inexperienced Children is Tough
When your child makes a mistake socially, it's easy to get embarrassed or frustrated. You wonder if you've done something wrong, and you worry about your child's future.
We want to reassure you that most parents have these same concerns. The good news is that social skills are absolutely learnable. You're not a bad parent, and you're not alone. Your family just needs the right tools and assistance.
Join Other Parents in Making a Family Transformation
"With hundreds of fun social skill lessons and activities, it's almost too easy. My children love the practical learning and are building lifetime habits in the process."
- Peter L.
"My family enjoys the live events while the group discussions remind me that I'm not alone. I'm grateful to find lessons reinforced by others so that my children don't just hear them from me."
- Katie S.
"Wow! It's wonderful to have experienced mentors provide practical suggestions, accountability, or just be a listening ear."
- Becca W.
"As a mom, I know that you love your children and want them to succeed; and it may not always be clear to you how to help them."
40 Years Teaching/Coaching
- English, Public Speaking (champion coach)
- Etiquette (certified consultant)
- Educated hundreds of parents
- Trained thousands of students
An Educational and Comprehensive Membership Program
Hours of video instruction for the whole family. Exercises, evaluations, games, reminders, drills, quizzes, and surveys for children from 9 to 90!
Weekly office hours with oral recitations/critiques, drills, coaching, parent counseling. Fun weekly group learning events for the whole family.
Connect with like-minded parents and children of good will. Moderated groups and forums on topics of interest. The word cloud below is only a sampling of the dialog we share.
It's as Simple as 1-2-3
Learn more at a webinar
Take a "tour" of the program, ask questions, get answers, find out if FOC is a good fit for you.
Join our family membership
Enjoy the benefits of the curriculum, community, and coaching that FOC has to offer!
Help your child transform!
Relish the feeling of knowing that you have done your best to prepare your children for a happy and successful future.
A Life-Changing Membership Program For You and Your Family
Social skills, life skills, soft skills, EQ, people skills -- you've heard it called by many names. Foundations of Communications teaches these skills so that your child isn't just smart, but more likable, happy, and successful throughout life. Think of FOC as finishing school for the 21st century.
At FOC, we know you want to be a parent who feels confident about your child's future. Their future depends not only on academics, but on strong people skills. The problem is, most children, no matter how smart, lack social intelligence - even the brightest among them.
Over the last 40 years, Win Heggem has instructed thousands of students and coached hundreds of families. She has distilled her extensive experience into an online membership program that you and your family can access 24/7/365.
I don’t want your family or my team to waste time and energy if your participation isn’t going to have a happy ending. After working with thousands of students in person, online, at weekend camps, and at year-long classes, I’ve learned a lot about who can truly benefit from my instruction. Foundations of Communication is right for you if:
- You know your child needs more than just "book smarts" to succeed in life: You recognize the growing body of science that shows their social skills and emotional intelligence (EQ) are probably more important to your child’s success than their IQ.
- You want help with YOUR mission: You understand that teaching Life Skills for a Lifetime is primarily a parent’s responsibility and you’d like some help. I can’t do your job for you, but I sure can help you do it better (and easier)!
Foundations of Communication is NOT for you if:
- You want a “quick fix”: I teach skills that you’ll want to instill as habits for a lifetime. That takes time, action, and practice. It will only work if you and your children do the work. If you are not willing to do the work to make a lasting change, please don’t join. I don’t ask a lot, but it will take effort on your part. There is no magic potion to transform anything without committed students and parents.
- You aren’t willing to commit 1-2 hours a week: The course gives you unlimited access while you remain a member, so you can take it at your own pace. That said, I recommend spending at least 1-3 hours a week until you and your children master the skills you desire for yourself and for them.
- You want your children to learn how to read, manipulate and use others exclusively for self-advancement: As a character-focused education program, I will teach you and your children how to be more authentic and genuinely likable. If you want your children to learn to be charismatically “slick,” we will both be sorely disappointed. Let’s not.
Foundations of Communication is much, much more than simply an online class. It's an entire blended e-learning program with plenty of opportunity for live interaction! We call it "screening with meaning."
Without a doubt, there will be an abundance of curriculum in a variety of formats (e.g., videos, games, exercises, reminders, etc.). Many families will find this sufficient and will use the material for their own home-based instruction plans. For committed families there is also active weekly coaching with office hours, online group events, and FOCus Teams dedicated to incorporating life skill habits in everyday living.
In addition, there is a wonderful community of like-minded families sharing their challenges and successes so that we can learn together.
The lessons are designed for people aged from 9 to 90 (actually, 9-19, but parents and grandparents can and should learn something here too).
Ultimately, the determination of the best age to begin is left to the parents' discretion. There are certainly mature 6-year olds for whom much of the teaching material is relevant. That will be up to you.
Many habits are strongly instilled by the age of 9 or 10. So, as with any life skill worth mastering, the earlier you start the better.
Having raised and homeschooled nine children, I understand how busy home life can get. That is one of the reasons I created Foundations of Communication. I wanted to make the lives of busy families (and busy parents in particular!) easier.
You'll be saving valuable time and resources because my team and I do all the topic research, consolidation, and lesson preparation for you. The activities have been designed to work into your normal daily routines. That way you won’t have to carve out special time exclusively for the exercises themselves. Every class is designed with Core lessons as well as an additional set of More lessons for those families that have the time and interest to delve more deeply into a topic.
Ultimately, the time investment you make with your children and family is up to you.
I anticipate that most families will dedicate 15 to 45 minutes each day working on the exercises provided, depending on the age and skill level of their children. The key is regularity. Some of the early adopter families are finding good success carving out one night a week for 30 minutes.
There will be many hours of training available inside the program. Lessons will be released in 10-20 minute weekly installments in the form of instructional videos. In addition, there will be recommended daily exercises to help you and your children focus on the life habits you want to adopt.
There is probably more material than you will want to cover for every one of your children. Think of the curriculum as a smorgasbord where you get to pick and choose the activities that you think will best reinforce the learning and cultivate the habits for your children. I recognize that different families have different amounts of time available and that can change from week to week. To help you choose what to cover, I am doing three things:
- You will notice that all the supplemental material is labeled as “Beginner,” “Everyone,” and “Intermediate Plus.” Use the materials that are most appropriate for your students and feel free to skip what is too advanced or too juvenile for your children.
- The curriculum is split into two categories: Core and More. My hope and expectation is that you will complete the appropriate Core curriculum for each student and then pick-and-choose from among the More materials as you see fit.
- As much as possible, I will try to provide exercise options that you can work into your regular family routines (e.g., mealtime, car trips, etc.).
The initial set of courses covers 15 weeks of instruction. After that, an expanding library of instruction and materials will be made available to you and your family. I hope that you will be an active participant with other families long enough for your children (and you too!) to achieve mastery in the life skills you desire to learn. So even though your participation may end after the first year, I want the life skills learned to last a lifetime.
No. The videos will not be delivered live, so you don’t need to participate on a strict schedule. The curriculum will be online and on-demand so that you can move at the pace you desire. That said, I will deliver the curriculum on a weekly cadence with the expectation that you will be doing the exercises in anticipation of the next lesson. If you need to take a breather, you can always catch up later. As the classes progress, you will be “partnered” with other families so that you can practice your newfound skills with other people and they with you. That being the case, I strongly recommend that for the duration of the 15 weeks of the three initial courses you maintain the weekly pace.
When you complete the initial courses, there will be many more classes and training materials provided to the whole community. You can adopt the additional classes at the pace that best suits your household.
I’m so sure that you and your family will benefit that I am offering a 30-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee. If after 30 days you decide that Foundations of Communication is not for you and your family, I will gladly refund your investment. However, if at a later date you decide to re-enroll, that same offer cannot be extended again.